Saturday, September 4, 2010

Studio Session With Flight

So what’s good world?!?!? Its ya man JonBlaQ back on my blog thing once again haha. Anyway my new update is on a recording session I had over the weekend (Aug 21st) with some young cats from Raleigh named “Flight”.

Now honestly I’m not much for the younger generation’s version of Hip-Hop, no disrespect, but Soldier Boy and Waka Flaka (Gosh I just feel dumber saying his name) just don’t do it for me, but I can understand the appeal that some of the newer artists of today have so it’s all good. I got a phone call from one of my team stating that he had a friend who was looking to get some studio time for his kids and some of their friends, and of course I was like cool but honestly in the back of my mind I was preparing myself to sit through a few hours of a lot of chanting, little to no flow and in general, no subject matter to think of.

Saturday morning arrived and like clockwork, the first thing I noticed was that they were right on time, which was out of the norm for any rapper, present company included, but then they began to file into the house one after the other and I started to think, “dang I aint know I was gonna be recording the Wu- Tang” – there were so many of them lol. As we got in the lab and all the introductions went down we decided to get right to business. I popped in the first track and thought ok here we go… and then it happened, these cats (six of them to be exact) proceeded to run through rhymes like they had practiced these joints in their sleep, one after the other each individual stepped up to the mic like they had been doin’ this all there life, and mind you this was their first official studio session.

Needless to say, I was impressed. Now the first track, “Take over” is just one of those joints that grabs u from the giddy up!! No denying it, if it hits the radio the “Take Over” will officially begin for “Flight”..but then they went on to do something I didn’t expect – a song called “My Cinderella,” which caught me out there with the word play, flows and the whole subject matter of 3 individuals from  a group of 14 yr olds. This song, like Take Over, was lyrically on point, from the way they bounced on the beat, to the cleverness and thought put into the rhymes, again I was a lil beside myself.

As we moved on to the third and final song, that also has a feature from OnOurGame artist Rashad Yarnell and consists of all 6 emcees was  such a banger!!! The engineer in me was literally itching to mix all there joints down right then and there LOL. At this point, myself, my home boy Remington and two of the kids father, Darnell Ellis( who by the way is an Emcee himself) got into a conversation about how dedicated they had been on working on their rhymes, and basically preparing these songs …..

Then it dawned on me, for all of my complaining about what Hip-Hop was and how its changed, over all it really hasn’t... see – after watching these young cats at work and seeing how hungry they were, I realized that Hip- Hop is not dead in the younger generation, and although it may change in ways some of us older cats don’t understand, there are still young people coming up who do care about lyrics and still get super excited to spit a hot 16 over a beat, just like we did when we first got started, and as long as that’s the case, Hip Hop could never truly die, not to say that most of what the industry is pumpin out nowadays is hot or even luke warm, but I gotta say if “Flight”  is the future, I think the game is in good hands!

Till next time holla at cha boy –JonBlaQ
Peep more pics in the gallery section of the website from the session and be on the lookout for Flight!

Contributor:
JonBlaQ

No comments:

Post a Comment